With Charleston appearing on many “Best Of” lists over the past few years, it’s no secret just how great of a city it is. Locals and visitors alike will be quick to tell you just how much they love the city and give you unsolicited recommendations of what to do while you visit. Charleston has a lot to offer, so how do you narrow it down if you only have a weekend here? We have put together a list of “Must Do’s” for you first time visitors. These things won’t take up very much of your time and you won’t find these in any brochure at the Visitor Center.
Must Do’s When Visiting Charleston for the First Time:
- Buy a Palmetto rose. Scattered throughout downtown, local children will sell roses freshly made from palm leaves. You can also find them for sale at the market. They are even beautiful after they have dried out.
- Pet a horse on the market. If not on a tour, you will find the carriages lined up along Anson Street on the market. They are super friendly and the tour guides are happy to have people stop by and say hi.
- Taste honey at Savannah Bee Company. Located on King Street, this store is wall to wall honey and honey products.
- Wander down a downtown alley. We have several throughout the peninsula. They are quaint, most are cobblestone, and all are full of beautiful history. (Stoll’s Alley)
- Eat at The Marina Variety Store Restaurant. It is one of the only restaurants on the water in Charleston, and absolutely delicious.
- Watch a sweetgrass basket being made at The City Market.
- Cheers to your vacation with a Bacon Bloody Mary at Eli’s Table. You won’t be disappointed!
- Relax on the swings at Waterfront Park. You may have to wait for one to open up on the busy days, but the wait is well worth it.
- Take a selfie in front of the Pineapple Fountain. This iconic fountain is a great spot to dip your toes and the kids enjoy splashing in the base.
- Catch a sunrise at The Battery. Aside from the sunsets you’ll see here, there are few lovelier sights.
There you have it. The “Must Do’s” during your first time visiting the Holy City. If you have been here and have missed something on the list, come back! If you haven’t been here yet, what are you waiting for?!