Here are some easy to prepare healthy recipes that are perfect as we dive into the hazy days of Summer in Charleston.
If you try some of these out, please comment with your success stories.
Lemony Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumber and Feta
Total Prepare Time:? 15 Minutes
- 1 -1/2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil, or just enough to lightly coat the pasta
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo al dente according to package directions (about 9 minutes). Drain the pasta, let cool for a couple of minutes, and toss with the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, cucumber, herbs and feta.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve chilled or at room-temperature. Can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
Pasta Salad with Lemon Chicken
Preparation Time:? 45 Minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 oz whole wheat bow-tie pasta, (or rotelle, fusilli or macaroni)
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 3 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Sprinkle with a little salt and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse and gently pat dry.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente, according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, cut the chicken into thin strips, then add the chicken to a bowl with lemon juice, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Leave to marinate for several minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil. On a lightly greased baking sheet, lay eggplant and chicken slices. Broil on high for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush eggplant and chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with garlic. Return to oven for another 3 to 5 minutes, until done.
- Add chicken, eggplant, pasta, arugula and tomatoes to a bowl and mix. Toss with liquid from the chicken and eggplant pan, then season with black pepper. Serve hot for dinner or chilled for lunch the next day.
Greek Pasta Salad
Preparation Time:? 30 Minutes
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 8 oz whole-wheat farfalle, or similar-size pasta
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 2 tsp dried
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, oil and vinegar in a large bowl; let stand while you cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Add the pasta to the tomato mixture along with chickpeas, cucumber, feta, olives and oregano; gently toss to combine.
Tip: Make-Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Roasted Tofu & Peanut Noodle Salad
Preparation Time:? 40 Minutes
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 14- to 16-oz package extra-firm water-packed tofu,, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 cloves garlic,, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 medium orange bell pepper,, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced trimmed snow peas
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil for spaghetti.
- Combine lime juice, soy sauce and oil in a large bowl. Stir in tofu; marinate, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tofu to the prepared baking sheet; reserve the marinade. Roast the tofu, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- Whisk peanut butter, 3 tablespoons water, garlic and ginger into the reserved marinade. Add the spaghetti, cabbage, bell pepper and snow peas; toss to coat. Top with the tofu.
*Provided by Cafewell.com