Life in the Lowcountry is just a little bit better with our four-legged furry companions.? Whether it is at the beach, having a beer, sitting by the pool, walking the historic streets or just laying in bed together, dogs are as important as the history of this city itself.
They calm us, put us in a good place and bring joy every day.
They are a gift of unconditional love and it is no wonder we celebrate them so much here.
As an ode to our loving companions and partners in crime, here is a gallery celebration of the dogs of Charleston
It dawned on my recently that perhaps us humans have a very inverted perspective on the relationship between man and canine. I suspended reality for a moment and put myself in the shoes or space flip flops of an alien and observed from a distance the daily rituals of the man/woman and dog. The dog walks, we follow. The dog poops, we pick it up. The dog gets hungry, we feed it. The dog is tired, they take the bed, couch or where ever they want. Hmmm, so who owns who?
Let’s break this down and see if we can come up with a logical answer:
1. During a given day, a dog with run, eat, drink, sleep, lounge, bark, cuddle, stick its head out the window and play with other dogs. A human will get up way too early, eat a rushed meal, worked way too hard for little pay, run errands, pay bills, maybe sneak in a beer or two and pass out weak and weary. Judges: 1 – 0 Dogs
2. When a dog has to go, they don’t have to wait on any lines, seek out a rest room or even wash their hands afterward. Even if they try to cover it up with their hind legs, they know their human will be there to pick up the waste. There is another one for the dog.
3. Humans have to court a girl with a courageous opening line, a well planned out and many times expensive dinner and then fingers crossed they get a goodnight kiss. A male dog walks up to female and does the deed. 3 – 0 Dogs.
4. Here is one victory for us humans…We live a lot longer.
5. Everyone wants to pet a dog, rub its belly and give great big warm hugs. Humans, not so much.
6. Dogs always get doggie treats. Humans only get to eat treats until their metabolism starts to slow down and then only on special occasions.
7. The leash. I think this is a plot by the canine community to give us humans the impression that we still have some control. I don’t know that they even need it.
8. Dogs can be naked all the time. Except Halloween when we feel the urge to dress them up in the most embarrassing thing ever. In most places society still shuns on that for humans.
9. Dogs can fall asleep anywhere. I mean anywhere.
10. Dogs are lovers not fighters. Even when they play fight, love always wins at the end. We could learn a lesson from that.
11. Dogs will always be by your side. Not matter what you do, they forgive and remain loyal. Again, something we could learn from.
12. Humans have to bathe every day. At least society puts pressure on us to. Dogs bathe about every week or two.
13. Dogs are so cool, they usually only need one name.
I think it is clear, dogs may be more superior than humans.
One thing is certain, the partnership between humans and canines is very special and one that should never be taken advantage of.
To man’s best friend, we salute you, love you and will always be by your side.