By Mark A. Leon
The bond of marriage is a wonderful and cherished part of life.? It is the commitment of two individuals to share in the laughter and tears, hope and fears and enjoy a lifelong journey of discovery that makes this silly little thing called life worth living.
Charleston is one of the most adorned backdrops in the United States for declarations of love.? It is the peacefulness of our cobblestone roads, warmth of our parks, courtesy of our citizens, romanticism of horse drawn carriages and the ambiance of a coastal sunset that set the mood for love and companionship.? We are blessed with a canvas of colors woven into a perfect tapestry.
Through the years, we have been the home for thousands of acts of courage as two smiles agreed to share a life together as one.
As an Ode to the magical spell Charleston puts on us, we wanted to share some of the great spots to offer your hand in marriage in this Southern jewel of a city.
11 Memorable Places to Propose Marriage in Charleston, South Carolina
- ?Schooner Pride – Sailing on the Charleston Harbor during a cool evening sunset on a traditional clipper ship; that this paints a picture of a romantic movie I would like to see.? The rainbow of colors in the sky blended with the point where the sun meets the water offers a perfect opportunity to pop the big question.
- Top of the Arther Ravenel Jr. Bridge – At the peak of that 2 1/2 mile suspension bridge which has become an iconic symbol of Charleston offers one of the most magnificent views of the harbor and the city.? What better time than during a walk or job with a stunning background to offer up the question they have been waiting to hear…and get exercise.
- The Vendue Rooftop – This rooftop bar has the most stunning view of the St. Philips Church Steeple.? If you catch that moment when the sun falls from the sky just behind the church steeple, it is one of the most remarkable sites you will see in Charleston.? Believe me, you ask that special someone at that moment, there is no way you will ever get a no.? A few drinks may not hurt either.
- Brittlebank Park – Located on Lockwood Boulevard overlooking the Charleston Marina, this spot is one of serenity and truly defines the life of a coastal resident.? With the calm waters, hovering sailboats and a pier used for fishing and lovers, you won’t find a more serene spot to ask that special question.? If you have the privacy, at the end of the pier under the gazebo is perfect.
- Private Carriage Tour – There is no better way to see the city of Charleston than being pulled by a majestic horse, taking in the sites slowly and enjoying a memorable history lesson.? Now remove all the cameras, chatter and lack of elbow room and make it an intimate ride for two.? Give that secret wink to your carriage operator and then off to the side of the road surrounded by historic plantation homes, define the moment that will change you both forever.
- White Point Garden – Gazebo – What can be more iconic than asking for a hand in marriage at the exact point where the first shots of the United States Civil War were fired.? If you two are history buffs, you won’t ever forget this moment.? In the center of this beautiful park on The Battery and surrounded by haunting layers of trees is a gorgeous gazebo that has been the setting of many weddings, wedding pictures and proposals.? We will treat yours as if it were the first.
- Morris Island Lighthouse Beach – Folly Beach – There are many beautiful beach spots where you can solidify that lifetime commitment.? Not many as secluded as the two I am about to discuss.? This spot requires you to park your car on a residential street, walk just over half a mile and then up a mound of beach sand.? Once you arrive, your breath will be taken from you.? In the distance, the mesmerizing Morris Island Lighthouse, to the right, a long pier of rocks smooth from millions of wave crashes, to the left, trees coming out from the sand and incredible privacy.? Lay a blanket or hook a hammock, share a glass of champagne and set the stage for a proposal you will share with your children for the rest of your life.
- Fort Moultrie Beach – Sunset – If you have ever visited Charleston, you most likely have spent time inside Fort Moultrie.? Here is a little secret, us locals know.? Just past the fort is a small dirt road that leads to an isolated beach.? This is a beach where you will commonly see dolphins frolic, a view of the Arther Ravenel Jr. Bridge in the distance and a sunset that puts all others to shame.? Whether you are on the beach or on the hill at the coastal base of the fort, this spot showers romance.
- Pitt Street Bridge – We cannot leave out our friends in Mount Pleasant.? This long peaceful walkway with marsh and a twisty kayak path on one side and the Charleston Harbor on the other is a haven for fisherman, couples and families alike.? It is a wonderful place to catch shrimp and watch the fireworks, but this long grassy path presents a nice setting for a picnic, evening nap together or a proposal of eternal love.
- Cannon Park – Many of your know the white pillars in the park between Rutledge Avenue and Ashley Avenue.? What remains of an old turn of the century building is a stairwell leading to a platform with red bricks remaining and a beautiful set of Greek style pillars.? This spot with clear blue skies, green grass and trees could not be a better stage for a marriage proposal.? It even makes for a great pop up wedding spot.
- Angel Oak – With angel in the name, you cannot go wrong.? Angel Oak is a legacy with its age, stature and reminder that things strengthen with age and that beauty is timeless.? Those are nice reminders when you think about sharing a lifetime together.
We hope this help provide some great ideas if you are thinking about asking that burning question.? Share love and it will share right back.